Thursday, January 7, 2010

Time to Play Catch Up

Today, months after actually creating our family blog, I've decided to make my first post.  I've discovered over the last year that I am terrible at journal keeping.  Well, to be fair, I've actually known this for a long time, but I really had high hopes that I would become a changed woman once our twins girls were born and I would be so excited to record their every moment that I would have stacks of journals after just one year.  Yet, here I stand with only two (one for Leila and one for Eva), each holding only one entry a piece.  Pathetic, I know.  Here's to hoping that blogging goes much better...but I'm not making any promises.

Last May my husband Kyle and I were blessed with quite a surprise.  After over a year of trying to start our family we were thrilled to finally get a positive pregnancy test thanks to the help of some wonderful little fertility drugs.  We were practically bouncing up and down at my first doctor's appointment.  Jokingly my doctor told us that at this appointment we wanted to accomplish two things: confirm I was actually pregnant and find out how many were in there.  Kyle and I chuckled nervously.  With the ultrasound probe on my slightly bulging tummy he pointed to the screen and said, "Here's your baby."  Then, after moving the probe a bit he said, "And here's another one."  Holy crap!  He looked at me and all I could choke out was "You better make sure there's not three."

Eight months later, on Friday, January 16, 2009, Leila and Eva were born.  They were about five weeks premature but still both healthy, strong little girls.  Leila was born first and weighed 4 lbs. 2 oz., 17.5" long and Eva weighed 5 lbs. 6 oz., 18.5' long.  After six days in the NICU we were able to bring them home.

After a whirlwind of bottles, dirty diapers, nap times, nasty spit up, bedtimes, teething, rolling over, sweating it out on a trip to Mexico, learning to crawl, crawling EVERYWHERE, pulling each others' hair, throwing up on a trip to St. George, throwing ALL their food on the floor, enduring a 15-hour road trip to and from Utah, hitting each other on the head, giving kisses, practically chewing the rails off their cribs, and much much more we are at today.

Okay, now you're caught up.


Enjoying their favorite Christmas present.


Opening their first Christmas present.  And what could it be?  Christmas jammies, of course!


Celebrating Great-Grandma and Grandpa Simmons' 75th Wedding Anniversary.  Five generations together.  Too bad Leila slept through it.


The girls first trip to Park City, Utah.  They had a blast!


Babies love to help on the kitchen.  Let's hope they don't break my dishwasher in the process.


Eva's got some crazy bed head!


My little mess makers.


So sweet!


They were definitely not sure what to think of their new stroller.  Turns out they love it.


"Mommy, I so tired."


Nakey babies!


First day home from the hospital.  They loved to curl into each other.  I'm sure it was comforting after spending so much time together in the womb.


Finally leaving the hospital.  They looked so tiny in their car seats.


Little Leila


Little Eva


Here they come!

6 comments:

  1. nice pillow!!! i cannot believe you were smiling. glad they took such good care of my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the blog, so fun to get a recap of all these great times over the last year, love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kandace! Welcome to the wonderful world of obsessive blogging. I started off just like you... hoping to at least keep a journal but never had a chance to sit down and record. Then I finally started a blog and LOVE it. Not only am I blogging but reading friend's blogs, looking at stranger's blogs to find cute templete sites and starting new blogs (one just for me and one to madden from mommy). Its CRAZY! I miss you so much and wish that we would keep in better touch. With twins, Im sure I am the one to blame. I love you and will always remember all of our fun time growing up together and college adventures. Cant wait to meet those adorable girls of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for spending the time to document things. It is so much fun to read your blog, you have a fun writing style. However, remember there are other things going on in your lives besides babies. We want to learn about them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have inspired me to start blogging!! I have A LOT more catching up to do . . . if that makes you feel any better! Great job on your first post! I look forward to reading future entries. I love all the cute photos of Leila and Eva! Give them big kisses from their Aunt Heather! You have such a beautiful family! Love you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT JOB!!! Im so glad you started one finally. Love the layout too...you didn't need my help at all ;) you've got it down! Great first post, that was really fun to read. I was laughing at most of it, because as you know I can SO relate. Glad you ALL are (and forever will be) a part of our lives. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete